Maui solar panels are available as three major types of solar panels. Knowing what Maui solar panels to choose can make a difference in your budget and the energy amount your panels can produce. Let’s take a quick look at the various Maui solar panels options.
Types of Maui solar panels
Here are the key types of Maui solar panels to choose from:
Monocrystalline Maui solar panels
This Maui solar panel is also known as single-crystalline silicon. The monocrystalline solar panel is the most efficient solar panel partly because they are designed with an even crystal framework. As their name implies, these panels are produced from growing a single crystal. The efficiency rates of monocrystalline solar panels are between 15 to 20%. These panels have a grid-like structure that makes them more beautiful than other Maui solar panels. Here are tips for choosing the right Hawaii solar companies.
The following are some of the key perks of Monocrystalline cells:
- The lifespan of monocrystalline cells is up to 30 years.
- Monocrystalline solar panel type has greater heat resistance.
- Monocrystalline cells are placed in a pyramid pattern, which results in an increased surface area for better absorption of solar energy.
- Monocrystalline have higher efficiency (between 18 percent and 24 percent) than the other kinds of solar cells.
Polycrystalline Maui solar panels
Polycrystalline solar panels are rectangular with no rounded edges. As a result of the uneven crystal structures of their panels, they are less efficient compared to Monocrystalline. However, Polycrystalline is more efficient than other types of solar panels. The polycrystalline efficiency rate is between 13 and 16%. Discover how to find the best solar companies on Maui.
Similar to monocrystalline solar panels, polycrystalline Maui solar panels have certain benefits too.
- These panels cost less as they have a simple manufacturing process.
- There’s less consumption of silicon during the making of polycrystalline panels.
- Polycrystalline panels are more eco-friendly than monocrystalline panels.
Thin-film Maui solar cells
Thin-film solar cells are more suitable for powering appliances with fewer power requirements as a result of their low efficiency. This Maui solar panel is also less expensive and is usually flexible making them easier to mount on surfaces. Thin films are available in three major options. These include;
- Amorphous Silicon (a-Si),
- cadmium telluride (CdTe) and
- copper indium gallium selenide (CIS/CIGS)
The efficiency rate of thin-film cells is between 7 and 13%. Despite being a second-generation solar panel, thin-film solar cells have certain perks which include:
- The thin-film solar panel is much cheaper than the other two types of panels.
- You can save on installation costs because of its lightweight construction.
- Thin-film panels are flexible and can be produced from different materials and not just silicon.
What to consider when choosing Maui solar panel types
While all three solar panels may be suitable for your rooftop and generating clean energy, you must have observed their various efficiency rates. If you’re considering generating clean energy to power your home or business on Maui, consider the key perks of each solar panel and choose what’s best for you. Here are several other key things to consider before making up your mind:
- Cost per watt
- Storage requirements
- Amount of shade
- Possibly, country of origin, if that is an issue on your radar
- Space available for installation
- Environmental conditions